Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wiki; Not Wicket the Ewok

Seeing as I am currently a student, I must say that wikis are fantastic. Anytime I happen across a peripheral subject in one of my classes, I sit in class and pull up the wiki article on it to read in greater detail. I really enjoy the fact that it is a supremely collaborative project. If I could befriend wikis, I would.

The library success article was a fantastic model for how useful they could be for work place applications. The fact that people could post their experiences and expertise on a certain topic in an online format that is easily accessible to your colleagues is immeasurably helpful. It could cut down training time, help streamline policies, increase cross training in different departments and give everyone greater insight into the general work flow.

Wikis are pretty fantastic, but the fact that anybody can alter and add new information is intriguing and also a little bit disconcerting. It was incredible how much information somebody had about our band and was able to post it on Wikipedia without our knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intro5pect

Wikis are really awesome, but there is also a scary line of personal boundaries that can easily be crossed with them. However the good thing is that the wikis aren't necessarily permanent and can easily be altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment