Monday, May 11, 2009

Freakin' Flickr

I must confess that I am a huge fan of flickr. To me it is the visual equivalent of blogging and can encompass the good and bad of it's text-based medium cohort. Thanks to flickr unnecessary pretentious references can now be visually included!

Thanks to Countess Gina from flickr for the visual.

But seriously, I think it is an excellent tool for libraries to utilize. It can show the general population that libraries are not stagnant stacks of study materials but are in fact vibrant living and learning facilities. We could showcase the many happenings within the library such as our varied and colorful exhibits, fantastic student events and even, as we have documented, the unfortunate aftermath of earthquakes. The Library of Congress has done a fantastic job of utilizing flickr.

Thanks to flickr I have had the desire to become a much better photographer so that I can more easily share my random misadventures. My friend Alia back home was able to capture a lovely picture of my brother:



it's these kinds of connections that make the internet so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment